Thursday 18 April 2013

War Altar of Nurgle by Ivan Bartleet

My posting of images of Ivan Bartleet's Chalice of Doom has provoked a number of comments, largely centred on the relief people feel at the thought it is safe and sound, residing in Bryan's collection. Well, another old classic is alive and well at Bryan's....

White Dwarf issues 125 and 128 featured the War Altar of Nurgle, another one of Ivan's, and something I remember clearly and very fondly from my youth. You can imagine my surprise and delight when I discovered it residing at Bryan's. I really do apologise for the quality of the next pic, suffice to say it was taken in haste and without any preparation:




I will try to get better pics of individual components if the opportunity presents itself. In the meantime I will leave you with better quality pics from White Dwarf 125:


and from the back cover of WD 128 showing the Altar with its Nurgle host:


I suspect the rest of the warband may be scattered far and wide. Bryan still has the spawn at least, but the dragon ogre conversion, for example, now resides with Orlord over at the Stuff of Legends



9 comments:

  1. No way. No way! Fantastic! I imagined a model that fragile and bitty would be a mangled ball of disaster by now. Great to see it, please do take some more photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No at all, as far as I can tell its in perfect condition. Bryan tends to look after his stuff :-)

      Delete
  2. doesn't look too dusty either
    cheers
    J

    ReplyDelete
  3. I said in my last post that I hoped that you'd have more relevations for us in your photo collection, and I wasn't proven wrong. Its wonderful to see another model from our youths safe and well in the 21st century. You really have to nag Bryan (or lock him up somewhere until he agrees!) to bring the Chalice and the War Altar to the Oldhammer Weekender so we affectionardos can have a long and rewarding drool over these old classics! Makes me wonder what other bomb shells you have waiting for us on your hard drive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll ask him, I can't imagine he'll object. Not sure about "bomb shells" but plenty more to come.

      Delete
  4. Now this takes me back.... Glad it's weathered the years well. It sounds like a lot of stuff from later years wasn't kept for posterity (although I think that may have been more in the way of display boards etc). This piece and the dwarf juggernaut conversion from one of the Golden Demons/Games Days that was also shown in WD around that time really stuck in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh god! No way! I'm so pleased this still exists - this is modelling perfection for me. I *obsessed* over this in the centre pages of The Lost and the Damned. An absolute masterpiece. And massive, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all this fantastic content! I can't get enough! Nice to get another look at that model after seeing it so many times in the Lost & the Damned.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to see that model again. Had forgotten all about this one despite seeing it WIP back in the day at college :)

    ReplyDelete